What role does the individual play in history? Is it possible to complete a historical account without reliable written sources? How to history and politics interact?
If questions like these interest you, you may be suited to our History summer school course.
Students on our History course not only learn the facts of History, but will develop the skills required to be able to criticise and evaluate historical trends and how they operate in society today.
Our History course
What will you be studying?
- The analytical and theoretical skills required to study History at university.
- An introduction to political philosophy, as well as a range of theories, approaches, and debates at the forefront of the study of History.
- Students apply these newly developed skills to understanding the blending of religion and politics which forms the backbone of Tibetan society.
- The course covers the history of Tibet and the Himalayas from the foundation of the Tibetan empire in the 7th century to the present day.
What will you leave with?
- Two worksheets with marked feedback
- Personalised report from summer school Tutor
- An understanding of the skills required to study History at a university level
- In-depth understanding of the careers open to you with a History degree
- An understanding of studying History at undergraduate level
- 15 hours of tuition
- 18 hours supervised independent study
- 2 one-to-one tutorials with a tutor, 2 marked essays
- Debating workshop in the Oxford Union
- A full academic report from your tutor
- 10 hours of career talks
- Optional university preparation sessions
Who teaches our History course?
All of our summer school tutors are trained graduates from Oxford or Cambridge University
Rachael studied for her undergraduate in Oriental Studies at The School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS) in London, before going on to complete a Masters at the University of Oxford. She is now working to complete a Ph.D. at the University of Oxford in Oriental Studies.
Rachael has taught on the Oxbridge International Summer School for a number of years, as well as overseeing the course as Director. She has received training from the University of Oxford in their tutorial style teaching and runs teacher training herself for new tutors.
What our students say
We are proud of the experience our students have with us every summer, and how much they value the opportunity to experience student life in Oxford.
"I had an amazing time at Oxbridge! The course itself was very fun and informative, and I've learned a lot more than school could ever teach me. The tutors were very nice and the classes improved my thinking skills."
Yvone, mother of Liz
"The money we spent sending Liz to summer school was a terrific investment and we were delighted with the outcome, thanks to the quality and integrity of the individuals who looked after her and inspired her enormously"
"These two weeks I spent at Oxbridge were some of the best I have had. I met so many wonderful people that I was able to spend many valuable moments with. The academics were very good and I feel it has prepared me for my upcoming school year. "
Apply now for History
Applications are now open to join our 2020 summer school.
You can apply for a 2 week course in History, or a 4 week course in History and one other subject.